Bear gets helping hand after surprise visit to fire station

Young ursine wanderer hangs out at Connecticut city’s fire department in the morning. New-found buddies come to the rescue that night when he gets stuck up a tree.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
A firefighter from the Danbury Fire Department poses with the rescued and sedated bear
A firefighter from the Danbury Fire Dept. with the rescued and sedated 15-month-old bear
(Danbury Fire Dept. / Facebook)

Wild animals like Arcadia’s quarantine-breaking bear have been making the most of lockdown, choosing to ignore stay-at-home orders for a once-in-a-lifetime chance to explore emptied-out city streets.

But while most are happy simply to take in the sights and explore untapped food sources, some sociable creatures are taking the opportunity to network with humans whose skill sets may be of assistance further down the line.

Certainly, a young bear who rambled into downtown Danbury, Connecticut, and chose to chillax by the city’s fire station was glad when his recent acquaintances managed to rescue him from a tree later that night.

The intrepid animal, later named “Dan Beary” by Mayor Mark Boughton, was first spotted at the back of the station by a firefighter performing routine cleaning and equipment checks on Monday morning.

Colleagues thought the firefighter was making it up until they went to take a look for themselves.

“Beary” seemed thoroughly content and “didn’t have any plans to leave,” the Danbury Fire Department said in a Facebook post Tuesday.

The bear left during the day but returned that night, Mayor Boughton reported in a news conference yesterday evening.

However, in striving to live the city high life once more, the wayfaring animal only succeeded in getting stuck up a tree.

Luckily, his firefighting friends were on hand to rescue him, along with a team from the Connecticut State Environmental Conservation Police, who helped relocate the ursine adventurer.

Firefighters and wildlife specialists managed to rescue the bear, who had gotten stuck climbing up a tree (Rich Kirby / YouTube)

The healthy bear weighed 135 pounds and was around 15 months old, according to an estimate by a biologist from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP).

After being sedated, tagged and chipped, he was taken to another location in the state and released back into the wild.

Boughton praised the joint efforts of DEEP and the Danbury Fire Department in a tweet, noting that the foolhardy climber was “barely hanging on” when they arrived.

Subscribe to receive weekly news updates from Crazy America

Your details will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Related Stories

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x

no politics, no celebrities, no bullsh*t

Subscribe to receive free weekly news updates

plus get the chance to win a Crazy America T-shirt!

Your details will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy